Established in 1973 as an independent non-profit corporation,
the Michigan State University Foundation serves as a flexible
and ongoing resource, responsive to the University’s strategic
its core is an extensive program supporting research, teaching,
and commercialization of technologies.
Areas of focus include:
- Granting funds to advance research and the University’s scholarly infrastructure of teaching and dissemination of new knowledge,
- Underwriting MSU’s work in technology commercialization,
- Developing, scaling and de-risking bio-based technologies through MBI International, a wholly-owned Foundation subsidiary,
- Fostering creation of startup enterprises originating from MSU through the Foundation's Spartan Innovations subsidiary, and
- Providing facilities and building sites at the University Corporate Research Park for technology enterprises, University
technology-development initiatives, and University/industry collaborations.
In addition, the Foundation has a longstanding role as fiduciary and trustee for charitable annuities, trusts, and gifts of
property on behalf of the University.